I’m still in the fall mood today since it’s only 65! Yay! Today I switched out my summer clothes for my warm winter sweaters and made another fall treat – Caramel Apple Banana Bread! I had some frozen ripe bananas and a few apples that I needed to use and this recipe for Apple Banana Bread looked perfect! As usual, I made some adjustments. It’s in the oven right now, but based on the batter – it’s going to be really really good!
1 stick plus 2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Apples – Peeled, Cored, and Cut into small pieces
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
3 Ripe Bananas (About 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup Apple Cranberry Juice (or similar Apple Juice variety)
1. In skillet on stovetop melt 2 tbsp butter with the brown sugar over med-high heat.
2. Add apples and cook for about 5 min, stirring frequently. About half way through add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla.
3. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
4. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, nutmeg, and remaining cinnamon.
5. In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat the stick of butter and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
6. Add the mashed bananas, juice, and remaining vanilla and beat until smooth.
7. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients and beat on low until smooth.
8. Using a spoon, add in the caramelized apples.
9. Pour the batter into the greased and floured loaf pan. At this point you can sprinkle some oats and sugar on top for a crumb-like topping if you like.
10. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!