This past weekend we had a group of friends over from our church small group. The seven of us filled our tiny apartment and we even managed to sit at the same table to eat dinner! One of the girls suggested that we try a mac and cheese pot luck so we ended up having four amazing varieties of mac and cheese to choose from. We were full all the way through church the next day! So much cheese… The four varieties were pepper jack, Cajun, and chili-mac along with my sweet bbq pulled pork mac and cheese. I wish I had pictures to share with you but it’s all gone. This recipe is a little involved and was taken from three different recipes and then improvised but let me tell you, it’s worth it!
Pulled Pork (Step 1) Ingredients
1 Medium-sized Pork Roast (Frozen or Defrosted)
2 cups Water
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
Pulled Pork (Step 1) Directions
Combine all ingredients in a small crockpot and cook on high for about 5 hours or until you can pull the pork. Pull the pork and reserve the broth in the crockpot for the sauce. Once you pull the pork, add it back into the crock pot with the broth.
Pulled Pork (Step 2) Ingredients
1 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
4 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Mustard
1/2 Onion (chopped)
Pulled Pork (Step 2) Directions
Combine all of these ingredients in the crockpot with your broth and pulled pork. Stir it all up and let it simmer on high for the next few hours. It doesn’t really matter how long you let it simmer, just make sure it’s all warm and combined. Plus it gives you a chance to start on the mac and cheese part…
Mac and Cheese Ingredients
1 16oz box Pasta (you can use whatever kind you want)
4 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp Flour
2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 1/2 cups (ish) Cheese shredded or cut into little cubes (we used Marble Cheddar)
4 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Panko
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Olive Oil
Several pieces of bacon torn into “bacon bits”
Crispy Onion Strings
Mac and Cheese Directions
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package. Add salt to the water for added flavor and less stickiness. Drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
2. Melt butter in skillet on stove top over low-medium heat then add flour and stir to combine. (A wisk helps).
3. Add milk to skillet and stir well until smooth. Add onion powder, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Once slightly thickened, turn heat to lowest setting.
4. Add cheese and cream cheese and stir until mostly combined. (It doesn’t have to be perfectly smooth since it will be baked soon after).
5. Combine the pasta and cheese sauce until pasta is thoroughly coated and then pour it into a greased baking dish.
6. Strain the pulled pork in the crockpot so you have the pork but not very much sauce and then top your mac and cheese with the pork.
7. Combine panko with paprika and 1 tsp Olive Oil and sprinkle on top of the pork. Now is the time to add bacon and onion strings or any other toppings.
8. Cover and bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is getting crispy. Remove from oven and serve immediately. For extra BBQ taste drizzle some BBQ sauce (like Sweet Baby Ray’s) on top as you serve this dish!