I’m loving cooking and baking for fall when I get the chance. This recipe serves multiple purposes – getting me out the door in the morning with a quick and easy breakfast I know I’ll eat, and using some of the wonderful fall flavors that I really crave this time of year. I trialed this recipe a few weeks ago and they were gone so fast! I put them in sets of 4 in plastic bags and froze them, microwaving them at work in the morning. This is round two and even with changes in both batches it’s turned out great. I think you could modify this recipe for the ingredients you have on hand or the fall flavors that you love. This recipe is loosely based upon these Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bites.
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup quinoa – cooked (I’ll get to how to cook quinoa later on…)
1/4 brown sugar (more or less to taste)
spices to taste – I used about 1tbsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg and a touch of ginger
1 tbsp orange juice concentrate
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 small apple chopped
1/2 medium sweet potato chopped
1/2 cup fresh cranberries chopped and/or whole
3 eggs lightly beaten
1. Cook the quinoa! Place 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa in a pan and add a dash of salt and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer (I set my burner on 2) for about 20min or until quinoa is light and fluffy.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly. If you’re adding or removing ingredients just make sure your batter is moist. My first batch was a little dry.
3. Lightly spray a mini muffin pan and place batter in pan, pressing it in gently. You can fill the cups all the way to the top since they don’t really rise.
4. Bake at 350 for about 20 min or until lightly browned.
5. Freeze for later or eat warm!